Pages

December 6, 2010

Taro fish cakes

Taro fish cakes

Finally I got the time to use my taro roots. I bought them last week, and kind of hoped they would keep in the fridge until today. They did!
At first I wanted to make a cake with them, but since I already stuffed myself with pumpkin pie and some muffins last weekend, I decided to make something else: fish cakes.
It took me a while to make them, and everything went wrong this morning, but in the end they worked out just fine and delicious.
Just to let you know what went wrong today:
- I cut my finger on my hand blender, didn't notice and soon the blood was everywhere.. (not in the food though, luckily)
- While transferring a big spoonful of fish cake mixture to a pan, it dropped on the floor (obviously)
- I tried to make kale chips, did everything the way they told on a youtube film, and burnt them. And I mean that in the non edible way. (later today I made them again, this time it was a success, will post recipe soon)
- And because of a huge layer of ice and snow remains on the cycling paths, I couldn't go to the market to buy fresh herbs and veggies. (the local government seems to think it's unnecessary to clean these..)

Anyway! That's just the bad stuff, sharing helps me feel better about it. In the end I did have a relaxing day at home, with fish cakes for lunch.
I'm not sure if taro roots are completely paleo though.. They seem to contain quite a lot of starch, and they're inedible when they're raw. In that case, they wouldn't be all that paleo. However, they have been eaten for a really long time, they were consumed before grains and potatoes were added to people's diet. That would make them more paleo.
Confusing as it is, I suggest eating them just once every now and then.

Taro fish cakes (makes 10)
- 3 small taro roots, steamed for 40 - 45 minutes (don't peel them!), until completely cooked
- 3 white fish fillets (like tilapia, or yellowfin sole) OR 2 salmon fillets, steamed for 8 - 12 minutes, until cooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 heaping tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, for frying

1. Peel the skin off the cooked taro roots, cut the flesh into chunks and puree.
2. Pull the cooked fish into small pieces with a fork, add to taro puree.
3. Add onion, egg, lime juice, curry powder, coriander, sesame seeds and pepper, and stir until well combined.
4. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan, and drop 3 or 4 big heaping tablespoons of fish cake batter into it. Slightly flatten them out with the back of a spoon, to shape them into patties.
5. Reduce heat to medium, and when the patties are golden brown on the bottom, flip them over and fry them on the other side until golden brown as well.
6. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve warm.

They would be great with a salad, or some stir-fried veggies.
Just a quick note, in case anyone notices; my recipe says 'makes 10', but there are only 9 cakes in the picture. I ate the 10th one before taking the picture, I was hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment