Pages

December 6, 2010

Curried kale chips

Kale chips

Just because I had a huge kale and to see what all the fuss was about, I made kale chips today. When I was looking for a recipe, I noticed there were so many people blogging about these, I just had to try them.
I actually made them twice.. The first batch failed horribly. I followed a recipe exactly, but somehow my oven was a little hotter at the same temperature, and I burnt them. They were totally black, and my whole home smelled really bad because of it. Of course that made me want to make these chips successfully even more.

Luckily my second batch worked out just fine; I put the oven temperature a little lower and sat in front of the oven almost the whole time. Ready to jump into action, in case something went wrong.

The recipe also told me to 'massage in the oil'. Well, I'd never given a veggie a massage before, but perhaps that's why these taste so good?

Here's my version:
Curried kale chips (serves 1)
- 4 kale branches
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder

1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Rinse the kale branches and dry them with some kitchen paper.
3. Tear the green leaves off, along the thick stems (don't use the stems), and tear them into bite-sized pieces.
4. Combine oil, lemon juice and curry powder in a bowl, and pour it over the kale pieces.
5. Gently mix everything with your hands, then divide the kale over the baking tray. Make sure they don't overlap, so they'll cook evenly.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes, until dark green and crispy. Let them cool for a few minutes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment