Pages

March 29, 2012

Spinach Shiitake Burgers



Finally, time for a new recipe! It's so convenient that I had to be in class today (instead of work) and in order to get there I didn't have to leave until 12.30 PM. That way I had lots of time to enjoy myself in the kitchen in the AM.
A few months ago, I found this recipe for 'Green Pork & Shiitake Sliders' on'the Nom Nom Paleo website. After reading it, I decided I wanted to make these burgers. However, a few things needed to be adapted because I can't get any Red Boat Fish Sauce nor Coconut Aminos over here. (Note to self: bring some from my next trip to the USA)
Oh and I'm not really into celery either, and more importantly: I'm intolerant to pork. I only make an exception for bacon every now and then, because that's just worth it. I'm still praying this is just a temporary intolerance.
All in all, I had to make some major changes to the recipe so I decided to make my own version. It worked! It doesn't cost nearly as much time to make these, and they're well worth the effort. I'll be making these again, that's for sure.
Spinach Shiitake Burgers (serves 4)
Ingredients:
- 3 large handfulls of fresh spinach
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 5 large shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 500g ground beef
- 1 egg
- 8g fresh cilantro (a small bunch), finely chopped
- 3 heaping tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground peppercorns to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
1. Heat 1 tsp of the coconut oil in a skillet and stir-fry the spinach until just wilted. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool for a few minutes.
2. Heat 2 tsp of the coconut oil in the skillet and stir-fry the minced onion and shiitakes until soft, this will only take a few minutes.
3. Finely chop the spinach with a sharp knife.
4. Add the ground beef along with the spinach, onions and shiitakes, egg, cilantro, coconut, salt and pepper and garlic to a large bowl.
5. Mix everything with your hands until well-combined.
6. Divide the mixture into 4-8 equal pieces, rol each piece into a ball and flatten them on a plate to make burgers.
7. Heat the remaining coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for 3-5 minutes on eacht side (depending on the thickness of your burgers) over medium heat until browned and cooked.
8. Serve with veggies of your choice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment