Pages

November 29, 2010

New veggies

Groceries 29 nov

Well, this is what I'll be eating this week. I did my groceries today and also decided to go to the market and look for veggies that I'd never eaten or cooked with before, and as you can see, this is what I came back with. (looks really colourful, doesn't it?)
Of course I'm familiar with most of these fruis and veggies, but as for some, I don't have a clue what to do with them yet!
Ok, this is what's on the table:
Dried apricots, carrots, coconut milk, pumpkin, butternut, leeks, iceberg lettuce, raisins, eggs, broccoli, ginger, daikon radish (also called 'rettich' in Dutch), tomatoes, zucchini, apples, pears, bananas, kohlrabi, parsnip, okra, black winter radish, taro root (or Chinese tayer), turnip, thai eggplant.

Quite a lot, isn't it? I certainly won't be hungry this week!
I have a lot of research to do on some of these veggies, it even took me a while to figure out their English names. I'm really curious on how the taro roots and black winter radishes will taste. And turnips are quite new to me too. I only know you can put them into a salad, but I bet there's a lot more to them. The same thing goes for the daikon radish.
While I was waiting to pay for my veggies at the market, a woman came up to me and asked how I was going to prepare the taro roots. When I told her I didn't have a clue (I must have looked pretty weird, buying stuff I don't know how to cook with) she immediately started telling me that you could slice and bake them, but you could also cut them into cubes and make some kind of sauce out of them. She also warned me; they taste a bit slimy, but good. I'm not sure what to expect now, but I'll just hope whatever I end up cooking with them will taste good.

They actually had more veggies I didn't know yet, but I need to cook my way through this pile of food first. There will be another farmers market next week, and I might just go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment